2016. január 5., kedd

Everyday and useful expressions in oral and written topics

Conversation-building expressions


As I was saying, I haven't seen her for years. (Meaning: takes the conversation back to an earlier point.

As I/you say, we'll have to get there early to have a seat. (repeating and confirms something someone has already said)

Talking of skiing... whatever happened to Bill Jakes? (starting a new topic)

If you ask me, she's heading for trouble. (if you want my opinion, even if no-one has asked for it)

That reminds me, I haven't rung George yet. (I forgot...?)

Come to think of it, did he give me his number after all? I think, he may have forgotten. (Sudden idea, makes you realize there may be a problem about something, I almost forgot it)




KEY words: THIS/THAT    

This is it. - (this is an important point)
That's it. (that's the last thing, we've finished)
We talked about this and that (and the other).    (various unimportant matters)
So, that's that, then. (that is agreed, settled, finalised)


Common expressions for modifying statements

If the worst come to the worst, we'll have to cancel the holiday. (if the situation gets very bad indeed)
If all else fails, we could fax them. (if nothing else succeeds)
With one thing and another, I haven't had time to replay to her letter.  (because of a lot of different circumstances)
When it comes to restaurants, this town's not that good. (in the matter of restaurants)
As far as I'm concerned, we can eat at any time. (as far as it affects me/ from my point of view)
As luck would have it, she was out when we called. (as a result of bad luck)




Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése

Megjegyzés: Megjegyzéseket csak a blog tagjai írhatnak a blogba.