2013. október 6., vasárnap

Spoken English - Information, opinions and ideas

Asking information:

Excuse me. Can/Could you tell me if the banks are open now?
Do you (happen to) know if there are any tickets left?
Could you give me some information about the opening times of English pubs, please?
I (am) wonder(ing) if you could give me a hand. (help)

Asking about language:

When you don't hear:
I beg your pardon?
Pardon (me)? Could you repeat it please?
I'm sorry, I didn't catch what you said.



When you don't understand:
Sorry, I don't understand.
What do you mean?

 Explanations:

Could you please tell me what's happening?
Why can't you come?
Could you explain why you didn't do as you were told? (amit mondtak neked)

Well, the thing ism Judy pulled my hair and then she pinched my arm...
The reason is that I1m seeing someone else at that time.
It's like this, you see. I thought, you were/ it was very unreasonable/unreasoning. (irrational)

Opinions:
Asking:
What do you think about/of private language school?
What are your feelings about the present government?
I'd be glad to have your opinion on this book.

Giving:
I think/ I believe/ I guess/ I feel that they are pretty good.
It seems to me that they're trying to do their best.
As I see it/ In my opinion that' s just not good enough/ not too much.

Agreeing:
+ Of course./ Quite./ I think so. / I (quite) agree. Absolutely. Definitely./ (There's) no doubt..

Having no opinion:
 Your guess is as good as mine.
I'm afraid I dont know.
I can't say I have any views on the subject.

Avoiding giving an opinion:
Well, I don't really know. /It's difficult to say./ Search me.

Being sure, less sure, unsure:

I'm sure/ I'm certain he'll come.
He must be coming.
There must be a post office near here.

Maybe/Perhaps we could buy this car.

I don't know. I'm not sure. I have no idea.

Predictions - Jóslások
 You'll pass the exam.
Once you get there, you are sure to/ you are bound to find a job.
I bet it'll be raining.


Having ideas:
What if we went on a cruise holiday?
Just imagine if we won the lottery.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése

Megjegyzés: Megjegyzéseket csak a blog tagjai írhatnak a blogba.